Monday 9 October 2006

Débit 7,06 Mbit/s (903,63 ko/s)

Yep. That's about the fastest I got from the up-to-28Mbps connection at 1pm in Paris, we must be pretty far from the exchange. No complaints about that though. Can VOIP through normal phone while watching 200channel TV with PC and Mac on with wifi. Slowest tranx was 4plus Mbps. But when I BF2, the VOIP breaks up a bit on other line, upload is slower after all.

Update 18Oct: Freebox supports MIMO in the Wifi box. Checked it out on Wikipedia and it looks great. Except that my Powerbook doesn't support it. Heh.

Jo and I have settled down to watching Sky News quite a bit. Of the 2 blondes and 1 brunette, we agree that the prettiest one is on the late afternoon time slot. Superduperbabe. At the end of the day, since all the news channels have roughly the same content, it's unfortunate that it's down to getting the best looking dude (or dudess) to keep our eyes on the same channel.

We are staying lots more at home, Jo's practising her new dance steps and I am doing my processing stuff on the PC. Also, I don't have to travel 4 stations to check the internet at 1.30€/hr and Metro tix at 15€/week, we are saving a lot more money. Weather is a lot cooler now, 6°C early in the morning to 18°C. So walking is to the supermarket is great!

We are going to Merville, Normandy for a church retreat this weekend. Must thank God for the kind soul who offered to pay for us (coz our budget is super tight when we came back). Jo was so happy she cried. I wanted to attend the retreat also coz I've always wanted to visit Normandy, D-Day landings and all, especially after watching Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. Just did a check on Merville, it was the site for ze German 100mm guns, so it's quite far from the Gold, Juno and Sword landing areas. Wahj, will take some shots for you, might just turn out to be shots of a pretty ordinary looking beach. lol! Btw, my personal wish list for the next place I REALLY want to visit is Bastogne in Belgium where the 101st E Company dug against the German offensive. Maybe in winter? ;-)

Anyways, the speaker Jane Wolf will speak on "Finding your sense of value in God" at the retreat. Thought it sounded like a general retreat-ish topic until the pastor talked about it yesterday. Turns out that the topic covers the issue of identity, how we are validated by our work, boss, spouse, parents & friends. I have been asking what it means to be validated by God, I know that I am a child of God, but what else after that? And how does this connect with how I see the world? Which then leads to "How does it affect my visual interpretation in photography" question. I have been chewing on this for a while now, think this topic might be connected also my "not-rooted" state.

On GodTV, we saw Rick Warren preaching at the Hillsongs Conference in Oz. 2 points that gave some insights into a question that's been bouncing in my head for while. What does a Christian do with wealth and fame? With wealth: To give to the poor. Rick says that he started with 10% then increased by 1% everyear. He's been doing that since the 80s. Like John Wesley who 'earned as much as he could and gave as much as he could'. With fame: To speak up for the weak, those who have no voice (Psalm 72). Not complete answers for me but it's pointing somewhere right, feel it in my gut. Do bear in mind that we are not in 100% with GodTV on some of the stuff that's broadcast, so have to weigh lah.

Lastly, my brother Isaac sent me this link. Totally hilarious, comes in 3 parts and don't mind the language hor. For you, all World of Warcraft fans.

South Park and WoW

Till next week,
Wes

8 comments:

wahj said...

Merville battery was the site of a British paratrooper raid against a battery of German guns. More or less everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong with the plan (delays, mis-drops, lost troops, communications failures, minefields etc) but they still managed to carry out their mission. It's an excellent site for a D-Day visit! = )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merville_Gun_Battery

Anonymous said...

woah. just read it. thanks for the link. will see if we can visit. wes

Anonymous said...

wah, u making me very green with envy leh. U not only going to Normandy, but to a place where there are known gun placements (and action)!!

Take more pictures please but dun pick up any blinds!

Anonymous said...

heya,

i was at the hillsongs conference this year and i heard that same message by rick warren. As much i have read his book and watched his videos. Hearing him preach that message that night really struck a chord with my heart too. It was a simple message of truth, loved it.=)

hope you will have fun and meet God at your retreat too!=)

Anonymous said...

wow! enjoy Normandy guys....pray you'll have a special encounter with HIM.

I'm off to the Korea Prayer Mountain with the Wesley group next Sat.

All your talk about WOW II....only Aikes will understand : ) but i see your passion man!

Anonymous said...

thanks jen. you guys have a great time in Korea too. and no, I am not a WoWer. :-) just got lots of friends who are.

Anonymous said...

The last time we were there in Caen, they were running budget half day and full-day tours including Omaha, Utah and landing museum at Arromanches. I'm sure you can find something similar. Think one of the most moving sites is the American cemetery @ Colleville-sur-Mer -don't miss it!

Anonymous said...

haggis > was it the cemetery from Saving Private Ryan? Too bad we couldn't go but Juno Beach was fun. :-)

Wes