Sunday 17 September 2006

Diaspora

Just came back from a full dress rehearsal of Diaspora at the Esplanade. It's good, dono exactly how I can classify the performance, it's not a drama thing... it's got a full chinese orchestra, indonesian musicians, multi-video projections plus some really good performers.

However this show was relevant to me,
coz after staying in Paris for the last few months, I have been thinking and reflecting about my identity as a Chinese Christian Singaporean. Parts of the show spoke volumes to me, the feeling of displacement, a sense of isolation and the need to connect to the past. It's hard for me to put it in words, but the show has given me hope, that I am not going through this phase alone.

Two nights ago, I was on the way home in the last bus from Marina, I talked to one of the actors from the show. I told her that in spite of being part of the majority race here, I felt not-rooted. She was surprised since she was in a minority group but I told her that in spite of that, I didn't really know who I am culturally. I went on to explain, I am a Cantonese and I was raised in a environment where my dad spoke only English to me. I grew up with American sitcoms and TV series in the 80s and 90s so I am more familiar with Western icons than Eastern ones. At that time, China was branded as the bad guy by the media so I don't feel linked to China as a Chinese Chinese. I told her that even now, my past is being wiped because the places where I lived and studied are gone, I can't even show my kids the classroom where I studied, or the field where I played, or the canteen where I loved the chicken wings fried by the malay uncle.

I told her that one of the most bizzare things that happened to my school was that they replaced the old clock tower with a replica. And with that, my memories were taken away. Some people might argue that memories live only in our heads, I disagree. I think that old clock tower held part of my memories and a replica cannot replicate memories. Anyways, I think that this process I am going through will take time. Dono if it's going to be useful but not everything has to be useful, does it?

On another note, we feel that something fundamental is changing in Singapore, Jo and I were discussing about it when we came back 2 weeks ago but can't still we can't put a finger to it... but it feels as if the whole island is in a new big rush to head off to somewhere.

Jo's dad had to go for a lung operation this week and she was very tied up for a while, but thank God he has cleared the op and will be heading home soon.

We are heading back to Paris on Wednesday. Got a piece of good news, the Internet connection has finally been installed in our apartment. Woohoo!! :-)

Wes

5 comments:

Wes & Jo said...

Apparently it was France Telecom's fault. The tech assumed and presumed. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Setting up an internet connection _really_ should not be that difficult for FT haha...

Actually, I feel the same way about the clock tower. Whilst both my kids are girls, it would've been nice to show them the old bandroom where I spent 4 years of my colourful AC life ;). Even the ACJC that I used to know looks so different now! Maybe being sporean trying to catch up in this fast sporean society has numbed all that fact, despite all the protests and petitioning :(

Anyway, being dislocated does trigger the search for an identity as you mentioned. May be a tough journey, but I'd imagine that at the end of that journey, being at peace with who you are, where you belong would make it all worthwhile.

Take care man - hopefully your art will bear fruit in Paris soon. Hope to catch you again when you're next back!

Liquidfuel said...

C'mon the hungry horde in World of Warcraft is bellowing your name...

Wez,
Wez,
Wez,
WEZ...
WEZ...
WEZ... JOIN US!

Sheesh. You didn't even tell me you are back.

Anonymous said...

thanks for writing yh - i know exactly how you feel. do you remember our classroom in JS? only had 4 classes, so funny.

kaffein - sorry, didn't get to tell a lot of people, was doing work and really didn't have a lot of time to meet up. was quite crazy.

btw, i did try WOW free for 10 days and i didn't feel like it. grinding a bit sian la. maybe i am getting jaded but got no kick doing RPG. also i have been off bf2 since march so the spirit and flesh unwilling la. what really gets me kicking is COD type of FPS. lurves them, no committment, just mindless shooting and bashing.

wes

Anonymous said...

Haha...4 classes with a library in the middle remember? Gosh, I still remember the days spent sliding down the slope next to the NCC armoury. And who can forget the canteen with the teeny weeny benches ;)

CoD2 rawks man!