Friday 11 August 2006

Phantom Food

2 days ago at home, I was sitting down reading downloaded stuff from the internet cafe (nope, we still don't have a connection) when for no reason at all, I missed the taste of a laksa tao pok. More accurately, I miss that squirt of laksa on the first bite of the tao pok. Then I realized that memory was from eating my mom’s laksa… man, even the Katong laksas don’t have that piece of tao pok.

And just yesterday, when we were walking in the metro, I remembered the texture of mee hoon kueh. This was the mee hoon kueh from an industrial area in Marsiling Drive where I used to work as an IT guy in Woodland in ‘94. And this was the best mee hoon kueh I have ever tasted. Missed it a lot back in Spore when I left the job.


Anyways, good news! Temperature has dropped to 18 to 26°C after a huge thunderstorm about a week or 2 back. In fact it’s so cool now that it gets a bit chilly when the wind blows, like autumn’s just trying to hurry up. It’s a really huge difference from those 35-37°C days… was really scary for a while coz there were folks who died of heat related reasons.


And Jo’s doing good, she’s been busy chugging away at her powerbook with video work since our stuff arrived
.

Wes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm....mmm... laksa...
how about those morning cha bee hoon with luncheon meat and my mom-in-law's superb ngoh hiang. :)

eh, i have business idea for you. you can bring in those nice transparent bags that were in fashion like ages ago and sell them at the airport to passengers going to heathrow. :) heh...

Anonymous said...

Well, laksa's a real good idea in cold weather...

Anonymous said...

kekeke. you betcha. on the other hand, jo's been adding chilli padi to lunch and dinner. sort of a stand in. :)

wes

said...

hmm... now i want laksa (i love tau pok!) and mee hoon kueh too. chwee kueh even appeared in my dreams.