Friday 14 October 2005

End of Week 3

Really appreciate and want to thank our family (parents, siblings, siblings-in-laws, shane & qq), TBM, kat, aiks, jen, kheng hwa, kakis from church, kakis from Joo Chiat Place and fragging kakis for remembering us in prayer and support.

We've been dreaming lots, more than when we were in Singapore. One night a week ago, I had something like 6 dreams, after telling Jo about them, she said that the dreams meant the same thing; that I was struggling with leaving comfort zones. Also have been dreaming a lot about scenarios occurring at our parents' place and our house, haven't dreamt about Paris yet. But like what Jo said, week 3 is better, Paris is beginning to sink in.

Read 2 books this week, 'Eccentrics' by David Weeks & Jamie James and 'Guys, Germs And Steel' by Jared Diamond (really really good book, answered some latent questions I had since I was a kid). Again they were found on the bookshelf in our apartment, might take up Nardac's offer of english books soon. :-)

Haven't shot anything serious. I'm re-wiring the photography mindset that I grew up with at home, both in business and visioning aspects. It's taking a bit of time and I think it's no coincidence that we are doing it here. There are 2 major factors that helps, one is that we have ample/loads/tonnes of free time, the world seems to run a little slower here; the other is that the creative air is different here, it's hard to explain it but we get the feeling that art/photography is judged *differently* here... I feel freer to be me. So I won't shoot, I want to soak in that freedom first.

Wes

7 comments:

NARDAC said...

I wouldn't necessarily say that things are more "free" here but you are in a bigger market and you're bound to see photographers whose work is less commercial and more arty. Plus, your subjects are different.

But, more than anything else, when you take photographs, the style/aesthetic and what you see as important is largely based on your culture. If your culture is different, you're going to pick different things to show in your photographs.

It's hard to explain. You'll see what I mean. But, be patient with yourselves. The move is something that's not that easy, even for someone like me who's used to moving and went to a french art school.

Anonymous said...

I remember something that Kay Chin said to us last year... that after he moved to the US (2001?2002?) he didn't shoot anything for 9months to a year.

So dun fret if you find yourself not shooting anything.

Maybe its time to like, re-group... reposition ... etc. etc.

Heng said...

Hmm. You have a point. Take your time.

I finally have the space to do the work I want to but the last year has been so hectic that I am taking time off too. I am watching anime and having meals with friends.

What I am sure of is that you are living your life fully and this will improve you as person and a photographer. :)

Anonymous said...

Everything that's been said by everyone is such an encouragement, even to me! :) So take heart, BIL - He is definitely watching over you!

kat

Anonymous said...

on the note of 'free' time and 'freer'... have you gone out country yet?

i've heard thats a different ballgame altogether... oh wait... you need a car for that... sorry... but you know what i mean? the people in the country-side (not necessarily farms)... abit like going to a nearby town instead of just hanging around the city of paris...

like opping over to Fremantle when you're in Perth... that kinda thing...

Like Peobo Bryson sang:

"A whole new world..."

Wes & Jo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

yes, heard about the countryside. but your 2 friends can't drive. anyways, budget, budget, budget. cant blow ze budget. :-)

wes